Frequently Asked Questions
SHOULD I LEARN IN AN AUTOMATIC OR MANUAL VEHICLE?
It depends on your situation. It is easier to learn in an automatic car, because there is no clutch or gears to worry about. This means you will most likely require fewer lessons. However, if you obtain an automatic vehicle licence, you will not be licensed to drive a manual car while holding your probationary licence.
If you own an automatic car or would like to possibly obtain your licence more easily, then perhaps an automatic Licence Test is for you. You can always gain confidence in your automatic vehicle and go for your manual licence later on.
HOW MANY LESSONS BEFORE I AM A COMPETENT DRIVER?
This depends on the individual. Extensive driving experience with your parents, different learning abilities, or greater confidence all impact on the number of lessons required. Our instructors tailor every lesson to the student and will inform you of your progress.
HOW LONG DO LESSONS GO FOR?
Lessons run for 60 and 45 minutes-all beginning from a previously agreed location, usually your home, school or work.
WHAT ARE VICROADS FEES AND BOOKINGS?
Your trainer will book your licence test once he/she considers you have reached the required skill level to pass.
VicRoads charge a booking fee for each test. Once you have passed the test you must also pay the fee for a probationary licence. You can choose either a 3 year or 10 year licence in Victoria.
WHY TAKE professional LESSONS?
- Professional, Patient, Experienced Tuition
Our instructors are very experienced and highly trained. They teach full time and utilise the most effective techniques to ensure that you learn the finer points of driving that will not only help you pass the test, but also become a competent safe driver. Lessons are tailored to your individual experience and needs.
- Modern, Safe, Comfortable, Dual-Controlled Cars
All our cars are very modern, safe and comfortable, but most importantly they feature dual controls. You will be safe and feel confident with our instructors at all times, ensuring you can learn with confidence.
- Expert Drivers
All our instructors are expert advanced drivers. Their training means they are able to understand the requirements of each individual student.
- Understanding of VicRoads Procedures
Our trainers deal with VicRoads on a daily basis and therefore understand the scoring criteria and methods as well as commonly used test courses. Our trainers give their students the advantage of this inside knowledge.
WHY MIGHT LEARNERS HAVE TROUBLE GETTING ENOUGH PRACTICE?
- The car is new and/or valuable – the proud owner doesn’t want to risk it.
- Parents don’t feel confident teaching an inexperienced driver.
- Parents don’t have the time to spend on driving practice.
SOME STRATEGIES YOU COULD UTILISE:
- Ask your parents/guardian to sit in on a professional lesson to help them with advice and confidence to train you
- Agree to take some professional lessons so your parents don’t have to teach you, just supervise while you practice.
- Agree to practice in a quiet car park until you and your parents agree you’re ready for the road.
- Look for situations where you can have practice when your supervisor has to go out anyway – like helping them with the grocery shopping in exchange for driving there and back.